Director of Special Education and Pupil Services Add-On License
This course is designed for administrators who already have their principal license seeking the #5085 Director of Special Education and Pupil Services (DSEPS) license for district or central office administration positions (e.g., directors, coordinators, etc.).
Jump ahead to these sections:
Learn about tuition costs.
- Most likely, students pursuing this add-on license will join the two-year Educational Leadership Cohort (which starts at the same time). You will meet one weekend each month (Saturday and Sunday), typically 8 a.m.-4 p.m., which often includes afternoon work time. This design will optimize your learning and networking opportunities. You will participate in all activities, but you will not need to pay for courses not required for your license.
- If a large number of add-on license students enroll, it is possible that you would have a cohort that is separate from the two-year Educational Leadership cohort.
- Summer dates determined by cohort.
- Practical on-site field experience with an experienced school or district administrator. Practicum activities are customized to each candidate. Stated differently, practicum “courses” occur in the field.They do not meet in classrooms.
- The DSEPS practicum requires 80 hours of field work.
Courses and Dates (8 credits)
The following are meeting dates for the 2022-23 academic year.
Spring: Jan.14, Feb 4,5 Mar 4,5 Apr 1,2 May 6,7 (you will participate in these courses, but not pay. See EDL website)
Summer: Determined by Cohort
Required DSEPS Courses
Summer: EDU686: Continuous Improvement in Education (3 credits)
Summer: EDU632: Leadership in Special Education and Pupil Services (3 credits)
Summer or Fall: EDU635: Special Education Leadership Practicum (2 credits) Note: there is flexibility in when this begins and ends.