Study Abroad CCE

Studying abroad is a great way to complete the CCE while earning course credits towards a college degree. Carroll University has partnered with 12 exchange institutions from around the world. With an exchange program, students can keep all Carroll scholarships and financial aid for their semester or year abroad. Additionally, we also have affiliated program options for students wishing to study abroad at a different institution for a semester, summer or January term. Students in any major can study abroad and earn credit for the general education courses or even courses in their major. Many students also complete an internship while abroad. 

“My semester in Florence made me appreciate not only a whole new culture, but also my own culture back in the states.”

— Leah Thomson '18

student standing on a cliff

No Boundaries.

There are locations on all continents (except Antarctica). Our advisers are available to work with you to help you identify opportunities, as well as scholarships and other funding sources, and serve as a resource for any study abroad questions you may have. With planning, students in any major can study abroad and make progress toward a Carroll University degree. There are three main types of study abroad programs:

group of students in a plaza

Exchange Programs

Exchange programs are institutions that maintain agreements with Carroll for sending and receiving students. Carroll has exchange partnerships with institutions around the world. Exchange programs are one of the most cost effective CCE options because students pay their Carroll University tuition and receive all Carroll and federal financial aid. They offer a wide variety of classes for students of all majors and an incredibly significant intellectual experience.

image of bicycles

Affiliated Programs

Affiliated programs are study abroad programs that are offered by institutions and organizations with which Carroll University has signed a formal agreement. Some of these programs are degree-granting institutions and some of them are smaller programs designed primarily for U.S. and/or international students. Many of these programs offer a hybrid option which allows students to take a mixture of coursework both at a local degree-granting institution and at a study center that is designed to provide coursework for U.S. students. These programs typically also offer a wide variety of housing options, such as apartments, dormitories and homestays with local families.

student reading a book

Unaffiliated Programs

Programs not affiliated with Carroll University may provide additional options for students to find programs that fit their schedules, their academic interests and their other preferences. Unaffiliated programs can also include faculty-led programs offered from other institutions. Participation in an unaffiliated program requires pre-approval by a CCE advisor to ensure it meets the requirements of Carroll University’s Pioneer Core general education program.

Frequently Asked Questions

about Study Abroad Cross-Cultural Experiences

More Resources

Ready for Your Own Adventure? Apply to Carroll

Panoramic View of campus