John A. Michl, MSBIA, MBA, CBIP, FLMI
Lecturer of Business Analytics /Co-Director of the Analytics and Business Intelligence Consortium
TEACHES IN THE FOLLOWING PROGRAM(S)
School of Business
Business Administration (MBA)
John Michl has nearly 40 years of analytics leadership experience in a variety of industries including financial services, consulting, outsourcing and higher education. He was a founding member of the Northwestern Mutual Data Science Institute, which brought together two nationally recognized universities and one Fortune 100 company to promote and develop analytic talent in Southeastern Wisconsin. Learning and teaching are his two complimentary passions. On his 40th birthday, Michl challenged himself to learn a new musical instrument well enough to perform in public, every two years. As a volunteer, he has taught financial literacy, data literacy and computer science principles to at-risk high school students. Since 2011, Michl has taught business analytics in one of the nation’s first online, accredited, graduate analytics programs. He is the founder and principal of JAM Analytics, LLC, serving clients’ analytics and skill development needs from coast to coast.
- MS-Business Intelligence and Analytics, St. Joseph’s University, Philadelphia
- Thesis: Application of Agile Methods to Business Intelligence (2011)
- MBA, emphasis in Decision Sciences, Creighton University, Omaha
- BSBA, Psychology, Creighton University, Omaha
- Harvard Business School Executive Education, Rethink Strategy: Strategic Leadership of Technology & Innovation
- MIT Sloan Executive Education, CISR Summer Session in Digital Disruption
Areas of Specialization
- Corporate and community data literacy, data for good
- Data visualization, performance dashboards
- Business analytics, customer loyalty analysis, customer buying behavior
- Emerging technology and trends research
- Data science skills assessment and talent development
- Business analytics maturity measurement
- Python for data science and analytics
Scholarly and Professional Achievements
- Founder and Principal, JAM Analytics, LLC. Analytic maturity and skills assessment, customer and employee loyalty measurement, analytics skills training and development
- Contributor, The Data Lodge. Executive training and bootcamps in data literacy, program design and execution.
- Assistant Director, Data Literacy and Culture, Northwestern Mutual – Developed and launched companies first data literacy program.
- Assistant Director Program Lead, Northwestern Mutual Data Science Institute – Implemented affiliated faculty program, supported and sponsored research programs, represented institute at Midwest Big Data Hub, developed faculty research influence measurement program.
- Assistant Director, Head of Emerging Technology Research, Northwestern Mutual – led team of researchers in identification of emerging digital trends likely to have greatest disruptive impact on the business.
- Director, Customer Insight, Hunter Business Group – developed tools for measurement of customer loyalty and customer buying behavior, published three trade journal articles on methods of customer loyalty assessment.
- Vice-President Operations, iSky – managed international call center group providing customer loyalty measurement and market research services for Fortune 100 companies.
- Director, Call Center Operations and Workforce Management, Matrix Marketing – forecasted volume and labor requirements, and managed technology to handle up to 240,000 inbound phone calls per day across four mega-centers in multiple states.
Service to Carroll University and Profession
- Current Chair, Academic Advisory Committee, St. Joseph’s University Business Intelligence and Analytics Program Advisory Board
- Technology Education and Literacy in Schools (TEALS), Volunteer High School Instructure, Computer Science Principles
- Vice-President, Board Member, Menomonee River Area Chapter, Wild Ones Natural Landscapers
- Gartner CIO Symposium – North America Advisory Board
- Gartner Data and Analytics Summit Advisory Board
Honors and Awards
- Certified Business Intelligence Professional
- Fellow Life Management Institute Certification
- Business Intelligence Graduate Program Award
- TEALS Program Volunteer Recognition