Year-end 1098-T | Business Office

Helpful Information About Your IRS Form 1098-T

IRS Form 1098-T reports information regarding students enrolled in postsecondary education as mandated by the federal government. This form is also being submitted to the Internal Revenue Service.

Per a change in IRS regulations, eligible educational institutions will complete Box 1 of form 1098-T. Box 1 reports payments received for qualified tuition and related expenses. In the past, Carroll University reported amounts billed for qualified tuition and related expenses in Box 2 of form 1098-T.

You may view your account history by signing in at: Enter your username and password, click on the "Student" tab, click on "Billing and Payment", under eBILL click on "View Transactions".

For information regarding education tax benefits, please visit the IRS website at You may also wish to consult your tax preparer.

Specific Information Related to Carroll University

What is an academic term?

Each of the following is considered an academic term at Carroll:

What is considered “at least half-time” enrollment?

How are payments applied to a Carroll student account?

Amounts are credited to a student account in the following manner:

  1. Financial Aid, in the form of grants and scholarships, is credited to a student’s account first and will be applied in the following order.
    • Tuition
    • Program fees
    • Other fees
    • Board charges
    • Room charges
  2. Cash payments (other than student loans) are first applied to fines and incidental charges.
  3. All remaining cash payments and loan proceeds are applied to remaining charges in the same order as in #1 above.

This information is provided by the Carroll University Business Office 262.524.7337 or Questions and email inquiries will be addressed during regular business office hours.

Panoramic View of campus