Transfer Credit Policy

Students From a Two-Year or Four-Year Accredited Postsecondary Institution may Receive Transfer Credits Provided:

  • Transfer courses parallel Carroll University courses or are deemed eligible for elective credit
  • All courses accepted in transfer and applied to graduation hours are graded C or better
  • A maximum of 64 credits may transfer from a two-year institution
  • There is no limit as to the number of credits eligible for transfer from a four-year institution
  • Students must complete their final 32 credits at Carroll, including at least one fourth of their major credits and at least one-fourth of the minor credits

Transfer Credit Will Be Evaluated Under the Following Provisions:

  • A course in which a student received a grade of D may be used to complete general education curriculum and major or minor requirements, but the credit hours will not count as hours toward graduation. All D and F graded courses normally acceptable for transfer credit will be figured into the calculation of the cumulative grade point average.
  • A course in which a student received a D or F grade may be repeated for credit and only the last grade earned will be used in the grade point average calculation.
  • Transfer students with an Associate of Arts, Associate of Science, or an Associate of Arts & Science degree with at least 52 hours of acceptable transfer credit or a transfer student with a previous bachelor’s degree from an accredited post-secondary institution will have the writing seminar waived and will meet all GE 1 distribution components in the general education curriculum. In addition, transfer credit may be received for the CCD, GE2 and CCE requirements.
  • Students may be eligible for retroactive credit when transferring in an upper level modern language or math course(s). Retroactive credit will be granted at Carroll University only if the transferring institution previously awarded retroactive credit(s). If the transferring institution did not award retroactive credit(s), Carroll University will only grant credit for the upper level course(s).
  • All transfer coursework is evaluated on a course by course basis. General education curriculum requirements must be completed by either transfer or Carroll University credit.
  • If a student repeated a course in which s/he initially received a grade of C or better and the repeated course had an unsatisfactory grade (D or F), s/he will receive the last grade earned. The final grade will be used in the grade point average calculation.
  • Transfer credit course timeline stipulations may exist for specific academic programs. Please refer to the academic program sections of the catalog for details.

Transfer Credit Policy After Enrollment at Carroll University

It is necessary to obtain permission from the Carroll University Registrar’s Office in order to have coursework from another institution accepted in transfer. All coursework must be graded at C or better to be accepted. Grade point deficiencies at Carroll University cannot be made up with transfer course credit.

Learn more aboutCarroll University

Panoramic View of campus