Carroll University has received the George Gunn Award for Excellence in Architectural Preservation and Historic Restoration from the City of Waukesha Landmarks Commission for the restoration of Rankin Hall.
This is second consecutive year Carroll has been honored by the commission. Last year, the university’s renovation of Ganfield Gymnasium was singled out for the award. Named after a longtime member of the commission, the Gunn award is typically given to individual(s) who are working toward or have completed a “top-to-bottom” restoration of a historic building.
Carroll President Dr. Cindy Gnadinger said: “We treasure our history as Wisconsin’s first four-year institution of higher learning, and it was tremendously important to honor the history and character of Rankin Hall while ensuring it meets our educational needs for the future.”
Lisa Salb, chair of the landmarks commission, wrote in her nomination: “From roof replacement and downspouts, to window repair and replacement only where necessary, storm window replacement, door replacement, chimney work and tuckpointing, (Carroll’s) efforts have preserved this local landmark for the whole community to enjoy for generations to come.”
Originally constructed in 1906, Rankin Hall underwent major renovations in 2018 to reconfigure the historic structure into a modern facility to meet the needs of Carroll's newest generation of students.
While the exterior of the building was left largely intact to comply with historical preservation guidelines, crews gutted the interior, installed new heating and cooling systems and created new classrooms, offices and numerous informal, open gathering spaces where students can study and socialize, and also added an elevator for ADA accessibility.
Rankin Hall was rededicated on Sept. 14, 2018, and now houses nine technology-infused classrooms, a number of student spaces and 25 offices for faculty predominantly in environmental science
Rankin was the final act in a trio of major construction projects on campus, following the building of the Michael and Mary Jaharis Science Laboratories
and Doug and Nancy Hastad Hall