Employment Information for Current International Students

International students must follow the rules and procedures for employment established by Carroll University, the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS), and their sponsoring agencies. Before accepting any kind of employment, consult the Office of Global Education to ensure it is an allowed opportunity for your immigration status.

F-1 Status

F-1 status allows the following five categories of employment. Please review each section to learn more about eligibility and requirements for each type.

Social Security Numbers

Review this section to learn what a Social Security number is, who needs one, and how to get one.


It is your individual responsibility to understand and meet your tax obligations. U.S. tax laws can be complex and confusing and the laws that apply to internationals are not the same as those that apply to U.S. citizens. Resources in this section should help you to better understand your tax obligation, to learn what and where to research, and to successfully submit your tax forms.

Panoramic View of campus