Meal Plans | Accepted International Students

Like most U.S. institutions, Carroll University has a variety of meal plans available for students to use at our several on campus dining options.

Am I required to have a meal plan?

UNDERGRADUATE students who are subject to the residency requirement (see the Accommodation page for more information) and who are not living in the Carroll Street, College Avenue, or Hartwell Avenue Apartments must select a Resident meal plan.

All other students, including GRADUATE, EXCHANGE, CU INTERNATIONAL SEMESTER, and INTENSIVE ENGLISH LANGUAGE students may choose any of the Resident or Commuter meal plans or choose not to have a meal plan at all. However, please be aware that if you are living on campus, cooking facilities and equipment may be limited depending on your housing assignment.

Even for students who are living off-campus, you may want to take advantage of a small Commuter meal plan. This way, if you are on campus all day and would like to eat at one of Carroll's dining facilities, you can do so by using your Carroll University Pioneer Card (student ID) - no cash needed.

When and how do I register for my meal plan?

Students who will be living on campus will select a meal plan when they complete their housing application.

Students who will not be living on campus can enroll in a meal plan by going to the Meal Plan page on the student portal. You must be logged in with your Carroll University portal ID and password. Please note that you will not be able to enroll in a meal plan until you have registered for at least one course - for IEL, Exchange, and CU International Semester students, this includes the 0-credit placeholder course.

Can I change my meal plan?

You may increase your meal plan at any time. The deadline to decrease or cancel a meal plan is one business day prior to the first day of classes each semester as published in academic calendar. New international students will be reminded of this deadline during International Student Orientation.

Because of this policy, you are encouraged to select the smallest plan you feel is appropriate for your needs and add on additional meals throughout the semester, if needed.

What's the difference between Meals and Dining Dollars?

Each meal (called a “meal swipe”) is equivalent to the following:

Dining dollars are loaded onto your Pioneer Card (student ID) which is used like a debit card to purchase food at any of the Carroll University dining locations. This could be for meals if you have run out of meal swipes or be used for things like coffee and snacks.

It sounds confusing, but during orientation you will be given more information and the opportunity to use your Pioneer card to purchase your meals. You will very quickly understand the differences and the best ways to use your Meals and Dining Dollars on campus!

What if I have a special diet?

We know many Carroll University students have special dietary needs. Our Dining Services staff are ready to help meet those needs. If you find that your needs are not being met by the current dining options feel free to contact Dining Services directly to confidentially discuss your needs. If you would like a member of OIE to attend the meeting with you we are happy to assist. Just email to make arrangements. 

Panoramic View of campus