Important Information for Canadian Students

Canadian students do not need a visa to enter the United States, however you must be sure to complete your I-94 record with the U.S. immigration official at your point of entry to the United States. If you enter the U.S. by land, you should be issued an I-94 paper card. If you enter by air your I-94 record will be entered into the on-line system. You will need to print out your I-94 record upon your return to the U.S. as evidence of your legal status. In both cases you will be charged a small fee (it is currently under $10) at the port of entry to process the I-94 record. More information about your I-94 Record.

As U.S. immigration inspectors are accustomed to admitting Canadian citizens as visitors, not full time students, it is your responsibility to make sure you are granted the correct immigration status when you are entering the U.S. If you are admitted as a visitor (or tourist) without receiving an I-94 record noting your F-1 immigration status you will have to return to Canada and re-enter a second time.

You will need to present the documents below to the U.S. immigration official at your U.S. Point of Entry:

  1. Canadian Passport
    Effective December 31, 2007, a passport is required for ALL entries to the U.S., including land borders.
  2. Form I-20
    Carroll will mail you your I-20. The I-20 is your F-1 student immigration document. It has been produced by SEVIS (Student and Exchange Visitor Information System) and is an acknowledgement that your record is in the SEVIS system.
  3. SEVIS Fee Receipt
    All new students coming in F-1 status must pay a $200 SEVIS fee prior to applying for your visa. Please review the SEVIS Fee Payment Information page for more information.
  4. Evidence of Funding
    Your financial documentation must be reflective of what is noted on your I-20 in section 8. Acceptable forms of financial certification include, your award letter, if you are on scholarship and/or a recent bank or investment statement as demonstration of personal funds.

You may enter the U.S. up to 30 days before the start date on your I-20 form.

Panoramic View of campus