George F. Kennan History Fellow Scholarship
Application Deadline: February 15, 2019
George F. Kennan, one of America's most distinguished statesmen, was born and educated in Milwaukee. He is known today as a master diplomat, a trusted presidential adviser, and an influential scholar. With his origins in Wisconsin and his record of service to his country, Kennan sets an example for liberally educated students to emulate. In recognition of Kennan's accomplishments, Carroll University has established the George F. Kennan History Fellowship program.
George F. Kennan History Fellowship Program
Each year, a small number of outstanding freshmen are invited by the Carroll University History Program to become Kennan fellows. Students selected for this prestigious program will enjoy a wide range of special learning opportunities:
- Fellows will work closely with a member of the history faculty to design a curricular plan that will help them achieve their educational and career goals.
- Fellows will receive a scholarship of $1,250. This award will be renewable for three years, provided the student maintains a minimum grade point average of 3.00 and continues to major in history.
- Fellows eligible for campus employment will be offered positions in the History Program.
- Fellows will be encouraged to participate in intensive learning experiences beyond the campus. For example, a student might study in Great Britain, Germany, China, France or Mexico. Students might also undertake an internship in an area of special interest and/or participate in a public service activity.
- Fellows will complete the published major field requirements of the history program. In addition, they will participate in a special seminar that investigates controversial topics in history. Our expectation is that this program will prepare Kennan fellows to pursue lives of professional accomplishment. We anticipate that they will be among Carroll's most distinguished graduates.
Conditions of eligibility
Students eligible to participate in the George F. Kennan History Fellowship Program will meet the following requirements:
- Student must be an accepted applicant of Carroll University for fall 2019.
- Student must complete a Kennan History Fellowship application.
- Applications must be submitted by February 15, 2019
The fellowship acceptance is based on a first-come first-serve basis for students who qualify. The invitation to apply must come from the history faculty or the Office of Admission. As soon as the prerequisite number of participants have confirmed, other applications will go on a waiting list in case additional funding becomes available.
Individuals who are aware of outstanding high school students with interests in the field of history may nominate candidates for the Kennan History Fellowship Program by contacting:
- Abigail Markwyn
- Associate Professor of History
- Carroll University
- 100 N. East Avenue
- Waukesha, Wisconsin 53186
- Phone: 262.524.7275
- Fax: 262.524.7139