TEACHES IN THE FOLLOWING PROGRAM(S)
RoseAnn Donovan, Assistant Professor of Education, has been a member of the Carroll University faculty for 15 years. She primarily teaches Literacy Methods for elementary and middle school students and the Exploration in Education and Society courses. Through these courses she is able to share her passion for the teaching profession, her love of learning and young adult literature. RoseAnn is the Director of the National Writing Project at Carroll University. In this role, she works with districts and individual educators to provide professional development to improve student writing. Prior to her time at Carroll University, RoseAnn spent 20 years teaching middle school reading/language arts and social studies in the school districts for Elmbrook and Wauwatosa.
- Carroll University, Reading 316 License: Reading Teacher
- Silver Lake College, Master of Arts in Education in Teacher Leadership
- University of Wisconsin-Madison, Bachelor of Science in Elementary Education (Grades 1-8; code 118)
- Special Accomplishment: First female Bucky Badger mascot (1981-1982)
Areas of Specialization
Methodology in elementary/middle school literacy, Integrating Writing and Art, Young adult literature
Scholarly and Professional Achievements
National Writing Project (NWP) Annual Meeting at the National Teachers of English (NCTE) conference (November 2016)
National Writing Project (NWP) Annual Meeting at the National Teachers of English (NCTE) conference (November 2015)
- Conducted a round table: Enhancing Literacy through Art (Youth and Community: Extending the Reach and Relevance of Writing Project Programs)
Metro Lutheran Teachers Conference (March 2009)
- Conducted a round table discussion: Integrating Art into Writing (Youth and Community: Extending the Reach and Relevance of Writing Project Programs)
Association of Teacher Education - ATE (February 2008)
- Invited to present two different sessions designed for K-3rd grade teachers entitled: The Missing Link: Integrating Reading into Social Studies and Where in the World? Hands-on Geography for preschool.
American Education Research Association - AERA (March 2008)
- Coauthored: A Programmatic Model for the Development and Assessment of Dispositions as Guiding Principles in the Teacher Education Program with Bruce Strom, Kim Hofkamp, Kathy Kramer, Sally Schumacher and Wilma Robinson.
- Coauthored: An Evaluation of Student Outcomes in Cross-Cultural Preclinical Immersion Field Experiences with Bruce Strom and Kathy Kramer.
Service to Carroll University and Profession
- Director of the National Writing Project at Carroll University
- Chairperson of the Annual Faculty Evaluation committee for Education
- Carroll University representative on the Celebrate Teachers and Teaching committee
- Faculty Observer to the Board of Trustees
- Member of the Faculty/Staff Concerns committee
Honors and Awards
- Excellence in Teaching for Education Award, 2007
- Partnership of Education Award with Randall School from Partners for Education, Inc., 2005
- Friend of Education Award from the Waukesha School District, 2004
What is your teaching style?
I would describe my teaching style as engaging and interactive. My role is to facilitate learning, so students are active participants. I use a variety of resources and materials to keep my classes interesting. It is very important to me that my students feel respected and comfortable and that all voices are heard.
Why do you do what you do?
I am passionate about teaching and learning. I love sharing this passion and having a role in the preparation of the next generation of educators. I am proud to be a part of Carroll’s Department of Education.
How do you make learning engaging?
I make learning engaging by involving my students! We have lots of discussions and do a variety of activities that allow students to explore their strengths and interests.
What should students know about you?
I love to laugh and have fun! I am a storyteller and talk with my hands! I attended the University of Wisconsin and so did both of my kids. I’m a BIG Badger fan. I love to read and am in two Book Clubs. I love to travel and spend time with my family, friends and my grandpuppy, Olive!