Housing Information and FAQ

Coronavirus (COVID-19) Information | Last updated September 11, 2020

Carroll has reduced density in its traditional residence halls by offering single occupancy only, housing one student per bedroom, based on the number of students sharing restroom facilities and common spaces. Students in traditional halls will be assigned a single room, however, will be charged the double room rate that would be typical of those accommodations.

We will permit standard occupancy, allowing for roommates, in suites and apartments as well as the Baymont Inn & Suites. Students in suites, apartments and Baymont Inn will pay the standard room rates as advertised for their room type.

To allow for the reduction in the number of spaces available for on-campus living, we will continue to waive the 3-year residency requirement for the 2020-21 school year (only this year) for juniors and sophomores with 60 or more credits and an approved off-campus application. Seniors will be exempt from the 3-year residency rule per usual.

Please visit Carroll University COVID-19 Mandatory Polices for more information.

Frequently Asked Questions

Housing Applications and Assignments

If I want to live off-campus, do I need to get approval?

If you are not exempt from the residency requirement, you will need to submit an off-campus application by logging in to the PioHousing Portal and selecting the option to request off-campus housing.

How do I apply for on-campus housing?

All full-time undergraduate students must complete an on-campus housing application by logging in to the PioHousing Portal.

Will occupancy levels in residence halls change for Spring 2021?

No, we will keep the same occupancy model through the end of Spring 2021 as outlined for Fall 2020 with single occupancy in our traditional residence halls and standard occupancy in suites, apartments and the Baymont Inn & Suites.

If I cancel my current fall housing and reapply in the spring can I have the same room?

Unfortunately, no. If you decide to vacate your fall housing assignment, we are unable to guarantee your same room given the continued demand for on-campus housing.

When can I move in for Spring 2021?

Whether you are an existing student who is returning from break, or a new student who is requesting to move in, access to residence halls will open beginning on Thursday, January 21, 2021.

How do I know what rooms are available?

For questions regarding availability in residence halls, please email housing@carrollu.edu.

Housing Cancellations

How do I cancel my on-campus housing application? 

Students may request to cancel their on-campus housing application by submitting the Cancellation Request Form or a written request to cancel. All cancellations are subject to approval by the Office of Residence Life and Housing. Once your cancellation is processed, you’ll be sent information via your Pio email on how to submit a new application to live off campus if you are not exempt from the residency requirement. 

Will I get a refund if I cancel my housing? 

The terms of the Student Housing License Agreement commit students to an academic year and respective fees. Therefore, students who wish to remain enrolled and live off campus will be held accountable for the room fees and meal plan costs for the duration of this license agreement. Cancellations after August 14 will result in a forfeit of the $250 housing deposit, and a $500 cancellation fee will be assessed, per the terms of the Student Housing License Agreement. Prorated fees are also implemented for any room charges based on the date of cancellation. 

Please refer to the Carroll University Catalog for information regarding fees, payments and refund policies. 

Can I submit a housing appeal to request exemption to cancellation fees? 

Students may request exception to waive fees listed in the housing agreement by submitting a Housing Appeal Form. The appeal process involves a committee review to determine if there are unique circumstances that may excuse students from paying the typical fees and/or offer a reduced rate. Students who receive an approved exemption for cancellation are still subject to the residency requirement and must submit an Off-Campus Application by logging into the PioHousing Portal.  

Living in Residence Halls

Since traditional halls are now single occupancy, will extra furniture be removed from rooms?

The second set of standard residence furniture in double rooms will remain, given limited access to storage. This furniture is modular and endlessly adaptable. We encourage you to use it to your advantage for extra storage or as substitute seating in lieu of bringing a futon or couch.

How will you enforce social distancing and CDC recommended guidelines?

Residence Life and Housing will follow the recommendations as provided in the Carroll University COVID-19 Mandatory Polices for students and faculty to practice safe behaviors while on campus.

What happens if students need to quarantine?

Information about student procedures for quarantine and isolation is addressed on our website for Common COVID-19 Questions at Carroll.


Why allow double occupancy in apartments/suites, but not traditional residence halls?

Carroll decided to reduce the density in traditional halls based on the number of students sharing restroom facilities and common spaces. We will permit standard occupancy in suites and apartments as well as the Baymont Inn & Suites, due to the limited number of students sharing private restroom facilities within their roommate groups.

Will I have a roommate?

If you are currently assigned to a double or triple occupancy room and prefer not to have a roommate, please email your request to the Housing Office at housing@carrollu.edu and our staff will work with you, one on one, to find the best solution.

I’m in a traditional residence hall. Can I have a roommate?

Unfortunately, no. Traditional residence halls will continue to have single occupancy to reduce density on each floor based on the number of students who will share restroom facilities.

If one roommate in a suite or apartment cancels their housing contract, will a new roommate be assigned?

Given the overall demand for on-campus housing and limited availability of spaces, more than likely a new roommate will be assigned to a room that allows for more than single occupancy.

Housing Accommodations or Special Requests

If I live on campus, can I switch to virtual learning or have all online courses?

Should you decide you want to complete your coursework virtually, please submit a request to Marty Bledsoe, Director of the Walter Young Center, at mbledsoe@carrollu.edu. However, the Office of Residence Life and Housing will need to grant approval based on extenuating circumstances for students who opt for virtual learning and need to live on campus. 

What if I need a special accommodation for housing?

If you believe you require housing accommodations due to a documented disability-related condition, or need to request approval for having an emotional support or service animal, you will need to provide information and documentation to the director of services for students with disabilities, who will work with Residence Life and Housing to provide appropriate accommodations. For more information on how to register with the Office of Services for Students with Disabilities, please email wyc@carrollu.edu. You can also find information on the Disability Services webpage.

Are there options for inclusive housing?

On the Housing Application you will be asked if you wish to participate in inclusive housing. You only need to respond “Yes” to this question in order to take part in the inclusive housing room selection process. You may also contact the Housing Office at housing@carrollu.edu.

Panoramic View of campus