Residence Life and Housing
Frequently Asked Questions

General Residence Life and Housing

What is an RA? Is there other staff in university housing?

A resident assistant, or RA, is a student staff member working and living in campus housing. RAs provide assistance, guidance and support for residents. RAs are trained in areas such as listening skills, confrontation, campus resources and event or program planning.

Each residential complex also has a community coordinator, or CC, and an area director, or AD. The CCs are student staff members who perform many roles similar to an RA. The AD is a professional, live in staff member who supervises the RA and CC staff and is a resource for residents.

Where can I live?

Most first year students reside in our traditional residence halls; however Carroll offers a variety of housing styles. Please see the housing options page for more information on the options we provide and our requirements for living in each option. This page also describes the amenities offered in each location.

What should I do if I have a housing request based on medical needs?

Students with special medical needs must provide information and documentation to the Director of Student Accessibility Services, who then works with the Office of Residence Life and Housing to provide appropriate accommodations. Visit Accessibility Services for more information.

What are Living Learning Communities (LLC)?

A Living Learning Community or LLC is a community of students living within a residential floor or residence hall who are connected through an academic major or field of study. The LLC is directed by a faculty or staff member who organizes educational and social activities for LLC members to bolster student engagement and academic success. First year and transfer students may choose to be a part of one of the offered Carroll LLC programs

How much does it cost to live on campus?

Carroll University offers several styles of housing to meet various needs and budget. Please refer to the per semester cost for the academic year rate and location you are interested in.

Preparing to Move In

What should I bring with me? What should I leave at home?

A list of suggested items to bring to campus and to leave and home is provided to students. Please remember that this list is not exhaustive and, while many items appear obvious, it may be easy to forget items at home. Also, please carefully read the Carroll University Student Handbook, especially the Residence Life and Housing section for specific restrictions and specifications of items.

Remember that some items, such as a TV or refrigerator, may be shared between roommates. Prior to purchasing and packing, please contact your roommate and discuss what items each of you will provide and how those items can be used in the room.

When do I find out where I am assigned to live and who my roommate is? Can I request a roommate?

First year students will learn their housing assignment and who their roommate(s) are after the housing selection process mid summer. For more information, visit the Housing Office.

Roommates can be requested through the online housing application. Students who wish to live together must create a roommate group as part of the housing selection process.

How big are the rooms?

Please review housing options for specific information about our residence hall locations. 

Are the residence halls air conditioned, carpeted, and furnished?

All living units (rooms) are furnished for resident use. Each resident is, minimally, provided a bed, mattress, dresser, desk, and chair. Lounges and other common spaces are also furnished for resident use. All furniture provided by the University must stay present and assembled in the living unit.

Most traditional residence hall rooms are not carpeted, however many residents choose provide area rugs or carpet remnants themselves. A. Paul Jones Hall, Prairie Hall, Pioneer Hall, Frontier Hall, Carroll Street Apartments, College Avenue Apartments, and Hartwell Apartments living units are carpeted.

Air conditioning is provided in Hilger Hall, Pioneer Hall, Frontier Hall, Prairie Hall, and the campus apartments. Students may not install their own air conditioning units.

Are there laundry facilities on campus?

Laundry services are included as part of the housing fees and machines are provided in each housing facility. Find more information on using laundry facilities, availability of machines and other tips at laundry services.

Does Carroll University provide custodial and maintenance services?

Custodial services are provided in all common living areas (hallways, lobbies, lounges, common-area kitchens, restrooms, etc.). It is the residents' responsibility to clean their own rooms. Vacuum cleaners and some basic cleaning tools may be checked out at the front desks of the traditional and suite style halls.

Preventative and reactive maintenance is provided for University Housing as well. If an issue that needs attention arises, students should contact their Resident Assistant (RA) to complete a work order. Work orders are completed by order of urgency and in a timely manner.

What is the bed size in the residence halls? Can I bring my own mattress?

The mattresses provided in University Housing are twin extra-long sized (36 inches by 80 inches by 6 inches deep). Extra-long twin sheets are available at many retailers.

Without medical documentation and prior permission from the Director of Accessibility Services and Residence Life and Housing, bed mattresses may not be brought into University Housing.

How do I insure my personal belongings?

Carroll University is not responsible for lost or damaged personal property. It is recommended that you check to see if your personal belongings are covered under your parent or guardian's homeowner's insurance policy. If your belongings will not be covered by that policy, you may wish to buy renter's insurance prior to arriving on campus.

Even if you are covered by insurance, you may want to mark your personal belongings (such as TV, camera, computer, etc.).

What is a check-in?

As residents arrive on campus they will complete a check-in process. Proper check-in requires that the resident sign a Room or Apartment Condition Report (RCR / ACR) that details that condition of the assigned space upon moving in. The RCR or ACR will have been completed by a University staff member prior to the residents' arrival. First year students arrive on campus according to the Orientation Schedule; returning students will arrive one to two days prior to classes beginning. Residence Life and Housing will provide more specific details and a move-in guide closer to your arrival. Please watch your email for more information.

After Move In

Do the halls remain open during holidays and break times?

All University Housing closes during scheduled academic breaks (i.e. Winter Break and Spring Break). Residents may request permission to say in their assigned living unit during breaks. Residents are allowed to stay for University related reasons, such as campus employment. Information regarding break housing is distributed before each break.

How do I get into the residence halls and my assigned room?

University Housing buildings are locked 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Building access is granted to residents of the building using a card swipe and Pioneer Card. It is the responsibility of all members of the community to assure the safety and security of the building by not allowing visitors into the building who are not escorted by a resident of that building.

Living unit doors are accessed via a key that is checked out to the resident residing in that living unit. This key checked out to the residents as part of the move in process and is checked back to the University as part of the move out process. It is strongly suggested that living unit doors remain locked whenever the door is shut.

What happens if I lose a key?

Only the residents living in a specific unit have a key to that unit. Keys are not to be duplicated. If you lose a key, it is important for you to notify Residence Life and Housing immediately to ensure the safety of your room and roommate(s). A fee is charged for the cost of re-keying your room.

How will I get mail and packages in the residence halls?

Mail is delivered Monday-Friday to residents' campus mailboxes. Mail is not delivered during academic breaks and bulk mail cannot be forwarded. Your mailing address can be found here and on the Carroll Portal with your housing assignment. The Waukesha Post Office is located just a few blocks from campus.

Packages are delivered to the front desks of traditional and suite style halls. Front desk workers will sort the packages and place a slip in your mailbox when a package has arrived for you. Packages can be claimed at the front desk with your Pioneer Card. Packages arriving for residents in the campus apartments are delivered to the Campus Center Information Desk. Residents are notified via email when a package has arrived and can be claimed using the Pioneer Card.

What happens if I do not get along with my roommate, can I get a new roommate?

We ask that residents who are having roommate problems notify their Resident Assistant who can schedule a roommate mediation to discuss the issues and brainstorm solutions. Room changes are granted in situations that cannot be resolved through sincere measures with the mediation process.


Where can I read the policies regarding living on campus? How do I know what items are restricted from University Housing?

The Carroll University Student Handbook includes a section titled "Residence Life and Housing." This section includes detailed information on the check-in and check-out processes, restricted items, community expectations, guest restrictions, and many other areas. Please take the time to read the handbook, as the policies apply to residents whether you have read them or not.

What are quiet hours?

Quiet hours are time that the University expects a higher level of awareness for the respect of the community members that are attempting to sleep and study. Quiet hours in all University Housing are 10 pm to 8 am. During this time, if other residents are creating noise that bothers you, please ask them to quiet down. If the noise continues, please contact the RA on duty or Public Safety to address the issue. The University also maintains courtesy hours at all times. Courtesy hours are a reminder to be respectful to your neighbors at all time.

Am I allowed to have pets in the residence halls?

Fish (no larger than 10 gallon aquarium) are the only animals permitted in University Housing.

Am I allowed to bring my own microwave?

Due to the energy required, microwaves are only allowed in Shirley Hilger Hall, Pioneer Hall, Frontier Hall, Prairie Hall and the campus apartments. All other University Housing provides microwaves in common areas.

Can I have guests and visitors in my room?

Overnight guests are limited to two (2) consecutive nights within a seven (7) day period with your roommate(s) approval prior to the guest(s) arrival. Overnight guests must register with Public Safety. Visitors are welcome between the hours of 8 am and 2 am. Guests and visitors must be escorted by the resident while in University Housing. Please refer to the Carroll University Handbook for greater detail.

Can I put up pictures and posters on the walls of my room?

Residents are encouraged to make their living unit home through decoration, however there are few items to keep in mind. Decorations that have a negative impact on the community will not be allowed. Also, residents should use adhesive materials with care; any damage cause by adhesives will be the responsibility of the resident.

Is there a pest policy? How do I prevent pests in my room?

There is a pest policy that can be found in the student handbook. All living units are inspected and declared free of pests by a licensed pest contractor before students move into their fall placements. Learn more about prevention.

See Carroll For Yourself

Panoramic View of campus