Pioneer athletics faced challenges as we all did during 2020, a year that forced a halt to play and out-of-season games, but student-athletes persevered and triumphed, racking up a list of notable accomplishments when they were finally able to compete.
Men’s & Women's Outdoor Track and Field
- Four National Qualifiers (Junior Steven Hermsen – discus; Graduate student Emily Uitenbroek – hammer; freshman Vanessa Uitenbroek – discus; junior Morgan Davister – discus).
- Steven Hermsen became a National Champion and All-American in the discus.
- Emily Uitenbroek became a National Champion and All-American in the hammer.
- Men’s team finished in third at CCIW conference championship, highest finish at the CCIW championship since 1970.
- 32 all-conference award winners, including five conference champions (Steven Hermsen – discus and shot put; Emily Uitenbroek – hammer; Morgan Davister – discus; senior Spencer Kirsteatter – 10,000 meter).
- Steven Hermsen and Emily Uitenbroek were named CCIW Field Athletes of the Conference Meet. Emily Uitenbroek broke the CCIW meet Hammer record.
- Three events had records broken (men’s discus, men’s hammer, women’s hammer).
- Steven Hermsen was named USTFCCCA National Athlete of the Week.
- Six CCIW Athlete of the Week Winners (Steven Hermsen (x2), sophomore James Hinkley, Spencer Kirsteatter, Emily Uitenbroek, and Vanessa Uitenbroek).
- Three USTFCCCA All-Region Selections (Steven Hermsen, Emily Uitenbroek, Vanessa Uitenbroek).
- Associate Head Coach Pete Delzer was named USTFCCCA Midwest Region Men’s Assistant Coach of the Year.