Cross-Cultural Experience

Frequently Asked Questions

How can students complete the CCE requirement? 

To fulfill the requirement students can choose a Carroll course or study abroad. A Carroll course CCE means a student takes a course and either volunteers throughout the semester or travels after the semester is over with their professor and classmates. Study abroad means a student can take courses at a foreign university to transfer back to Carroll University. Students will not only complete their CCE through study abroad, but classes taken abroad can also complete a major, minor, or general education credit back to Carroll University through a pre-approval process. Carroll course and study abroad programs are offered during every term.

Can an undergraduate student graduate without completing his or her cross-cultural experience (CCE)?

No. The CCE, like all general education requirements, must be completed prior to graduating from Carroll University.

Do students have to participate in an international CCE?

No. Carroll University offers domestic and regional CCE options as well. Examples include: Tucson, Arizona, Harlem, New York, Albuquerque, New Mexicon and Milwaukee, Wisconsin.

When should I begin to plan?

Early planning is very important. It’s not too soon to speak with your academic adviser about the CCE during your first year.

When should I apply?  

The general rule of thumb is that students should apply the semester before they would like to complete their CCE. Deadlines are announced on the university’s internal portal on the CCE section.

Can students design their own CCE?

There are many non-traditional ways of completing the CCE, including international volunteer experiences, service in a cross-cultural setting and petitioning for a self-designed CCE. These options include a course prior to or concurrently during the immersion and provide an opportunity for students to control various aspects of their immersion.

What is the difference between CCS300 and NCE? 

Both are Carroll course CCEs that fulfill the CCE requirement.  The main difference is that CCS300 is a 2-credit course that travels for about 10 days while an NCE is a 4-credit course that travels for more than 10 days.

Where do I go when I am ready to learn more about CCEs and travel? 

Visit the CCE website

When can I study abroad?

 Students who have earned at least 16 credits at Carroll are eligible to study abroad.

Do I need to know a foreign language in order to study abroad? 

No. Carroll University offers a variety of exchange and affiliate programs where classes are taught in English. In some cases, students are expected to take a class in the language of the country while they are abroad.

Can all majors study abroad? 

Yes. With early, careful planning, students can fit study abroad into their plans. Year, semester, summer and short-term programs are available to accommodate all majors. Students can earn Carroll credit while maintaining normal progress toward graduation.

Can I study abroad without delaying my graduation? 

Absolutely. Students will work with the Office of Global Education, their academic advisers and the Registrar’s Office to determine which courses are best to take and how they will return to Carroll. Many times, students are able to transfer back credits for their major, minor and/or general education requirements as well as elective credits that help a student progress towards graduation.

What if I want to go somewhere that is not offered through Carroll? 

No problem. Students may study abroad on non-Carroll programs with prior approval.

More Resources

Ready for Your Own Adventure? Apply to Carroll

Panoramic View of campus