International Student Gets Clinical Experience

Author: Carroll University

Published Date: 3/13/2019

Categories: Physical Therapy Students

Physical therapy student and patient
Nihal Studden '20

For Nihal Studden ’20, the doctorate of physical therapy (DPT) program at Carroll has provided him with a world of clinical experience through Curricular Practical Training (CPT). 

CPT provides international students temporary authorization for practical training directly related to their major field of study. 

“It has been very beneficial in my growth as a student and as an individual. It has provided me hands-on experience as well as the opportunity to use what I learn in the class room in a real-world setting,” he said. 

Studden has had several chances to get experience outside the classroom. Last fall, he worked with patients at the United Community Center in Milwaukee. 

“We sat down and interacted with the patient to get their history and design a plan for them,” he explained. “This semester, the idea is to implement a plan from all the information we gathered from them.” 

In December, Studden returned from a clinical experience near the Dells at Divine Savior Hospital, where he worked about 40 hours a week. This semester, in addition to the UCC, Studden is working in the Therapeutic Abilities Clinic (TAC) at Carroll.

“Most of the patients I work with have neurological conditions such as stroke, Parkinson’s or cerebral palsy. I start off by getting a history, taking objective measures of strength, range of motion, etc., to get a full picture of the patient. I then decide a plan for them, such as what are they going to work on, what impairments do they have and how are we going to address those impairments?”

This summer, it’s off to Grand Rapids, Mich., where Studden will receive his next clinical experience.

“I really look forward to learning and developing more as a clinician during my clinical in Michigan,” he said. “I hope to use new skills that I have learned in class over the past few years. In addition to this, I am really looking forward to interacting with patients and providing them with the best possible care.”

Studden, who is in the second year of his DPT, received direct admission into the program as a freshman. Originally from India, he was introduced to Carroll while at boarding school at St. Lawrence Seminary High School near Fond du Lac. 

“The ability to get a DPT in six years instead of seven was a really big factor in choosing Carroll, as was the financial aid,” he said.

Stay Informed With CARROLL NEWS

Panoramic View of campus