Dorothy Sainsbury-Steinmetz Memorial
Theatre Arts Scholarship
Professor Dorothy Sainsbury-Steinmetz served Carroll University from 1956 until 1973 as professor of drama and brought renewed acclaim to the drama program. She was the first woman to graduate with a Master of Fine Arts degree from The Yale University Drama School. Students, alumni and friends of the college have created a memorial fund to support students studying theatre at Carroll University.
The Dorothy Sainsbury-Steinmetz Memorial Scholarship Program
Carroll University offers The Dorothy Sainsbury-Steinmetz Memorial Theatre Arts Scholarship awards to prospective students with a high level of achievement in theatre at the high school and/or community theatre level.
Conditions of eligibility
1. The awards are available to students at any level (high school graduate, junior college, college transfer student) who intend full-time enrollment at Carroll University with a major in theatre arts or theatre arts minor. The awards are renewable in each succeeding year of Carroll study.
2. The student must be an accepted applicant of Carroll University for fall 2014.
Conditions of competition
1. The student should submit to the Carroll University theatre arts faculty the attached application certified by a high school, junior college or community theatre director or a theatre alumnus/alumna of Carroll University. For priority consideration, application materials must be received no later than May 31, 2014.
2. Theatre faculty will review the completed application, and attached resume, and essay.
4. If qualified, an award amount of $500 - $1,000 will then be assigned by the theatre faculty and the student will be notified of acceptance.
5. A student majoring/minoring in music and theatre arts might be asked to select an award from only one of the programs, although dual study programs are encouraged. The student elects the grant amount from the program with the major or the program that offers the greater amount of grant assistance.
6. For returning students, renewal of the theatre arts award is based upon continued theatre major/theatre minor study at Carroll and a suitable record of activity and service as determined by theatre faculty.
7. Students adding theatre arts studies at Carroll who were not originally theatre majors/minors may apply for the award in a succeeding year of study (not the first year of enrollment) under the previously described process of renewal.
*I certify that information presented in this application is correct and that I have read, understand and agree to the conditions described in the Theatre Arts Scholarship description.