SSW: Upon successful completion of major Sociology of the Social World requirements, students should
be able to:
- Demonstrate an awareness of the scope and diversity of societal/cultural elements addressed by the field of sociology.
- Use and apply sociological concepts and theoretical perspectives to make sense of their world.
- Recognize and describe how institutional patterns and social structural forces shape many aspects of individual life.
SOS: Upon successful completion of major Sociology of Sustainability requirements, students should
be able to:
- Explain the scale and variety of major interconnections among the four top circles of people, planet, purposes and progress, and how social justice, ecological stewardship and equitable prosperity relate to those four top circles, as well as to Carroll’s four pillars.
- Demonstrate how to use and apply SOS concepts through community engagement and collaboration, organizational leadership and responsibility, and/or environmental advocacy and well-being.
- Integrate development for careers or graduate studies in sustainability with personal lifestyle and financial planning.
- The program offers majors in sociology and criminal justice.
- The sociology major provides students with a choice of two emphases:
- The program offers courses that deal with a variety of social interactions, values, beliefs, groups, social contexts and applications.
- Students can earn a bachelor’s degree in sociology and complete a second major within four years. Common second majors include business administration, biology, psychology, communication and criminal justice.
- The program of study has an interdisciplinary liberal arts focus, emphasizing social science knowledge as well as basic communication and intellectual skills in the SSW, and sustainable applications of those in the SOS.
- All sociology major students participate in a capstone experience in which they conduct research in the context of a seminar coordinated by a faculty member. SOS students also complete a field project in which they demonstrate sustainable activities in an applied setting.
- Carroll University’s location ensures numerous internship opportunities.
- Students have participated in internships in areas such as business and community agencies that address environmental, criminal justice, children’s and women’s issues. In criminal justice and SSW, students have done internships in:
- Local law enforcement
- Federal law enforcement
- Private attorney offices
- Public defender office
- County jails
- Probation and parole
- Rehabilitation facilities
- Community corrections
- In the new Sociology of Sustainability emphasis, students are expected to do field projects in:
- Social Justice organizations to bridge divides and encourage cooperation for mutual benefits; exploring career pathways in community engagement and collaboration in community organizations such as Michael Fields Agricultural Institute in East Troy, Wis., The Plowshare Center in Waukesha, Wis., or local schools.
- Ecological Stewardship organizations to carefully manage earth’s diversity for enduring balance; examining career pathways in organizational leadership and responsibility in nonprofits like Waukesha County Green Team or companies like Johnson Controls.
- Equitable Prosperity organizations to secure healthy ecosocial participation for widespread fulfillment; investigating career pathways in environmental advocacy and well-being in a different place like AmericaCorpsVISTA, the Rosebud Indian Reservation in South Dakota, the Model United Nations at the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee or the University of Hawaii.
- The program has excellent faculty with diverse specialties in the areas of minority group studies, social change, delinquency, family and ecosociology.
- Students receive individualized student advising from a professor within the program.
- Small class sizes allow for interaction with professors and students.
- Professors teach all classes; there are no teaching assistants.
- Carroll University’s location ensures numerous social, cultural, internship and career networking opportunities