About the Philosophy, Politics and Economics Program
- Students will be able to identify and critically discuss in written and oral fashion government structures and decision making processes.
- Students will be able to identify and critically discuss in written and oral fashion key concepts, figures, movements, and ideas in philosophy.
- Students will be able to identify and critically discuss in written and oral fashion the function of market forces and the larger social issues related to economic forces and decision making.
- Students will be able to identify and critically discuss in written and oral fashion the integration of the fundamental concepts and ideas of Philosophy, Politics, and Economics and the way these ideas shape fundamental societal issues of justice, citizenship, social order, wealth and poverty, globalization, freedom, et. al.
- Students will be able to identify, analyze, and respond critically to relevant issues using appropriate research and bibliographic materials and facilities commonly employed in the fields of Philosophy, Politics, and Economics.
What Is Philosophy, Politics and Economics (PPE)?
The Carroll PPE major is a genuinely interdisciplinary course of study. Students explore contemporary questions about wealth and poverty; the market economy; and the relationship between the economic, political and legal order as these issues are studied by philosophers, political scientists and economists.
- In philosophy, you will learn the ideas and theories that shaped society and culture, and practice the intellectual tools needed for ethical reflection.
- In political science, you will learn the variety of political structures that govern society and the complexities involved in political choices.
- In economics, you will learn about market forces and the social issues related to economic forces and decision-making.
Why Study PPE?
Tomorrow's graduates are increasingly asked to employ tools that cut across disciplines. A PPE major nurtures the formation of an interdisciplinary integrated knowledge that combines foundational knowledge in philosophy, political science and economics. A firm knowledge of these three disciplines will prepare you for a variety of careers in an increasingly international professional world.
Your main course of study will be core classes in the history and principles of philosophy, in political theory, in government structures and policy, in macro and microeconomics, and in economic history. Capstone is a senior research project designed and completed under the individual supervision of a faculty mentor that will integrate your learning in all three fields.
Why Is The PPE Right For Me?
The PPE major provides the kind of broad rigorous education that will give you the knowledge and intellectual skills to go on to law, professional or graduate school. You have the opportunity to do original undergraduate research and the option of exciting internships that will advance your education and your career.
What You Can Do With A PPE Major
PPE prepares you for law, international business, graduate school, journalism, non-profits, government and foreign service, and more.