The Student Teaching Program
Each student teacher is expected to reserve one entire public school semester in the senior year solely for student teaching. No other courses may be taken at this time and it is strongly recommended that students do not engage in outside work. All major, minor, concentration and education courses must be completed prior to the student teaching semester.
Students are placed for student teaching in cooperating school districts within a thirty mile driving radius of Carroll University. Student teaching placements are determined by the Education Program, with every attempt to find settings that will allow each individual optimum learning and success. Student needs, qualifications and availability of cooperating teachers, and the requirements for state teaching certification are all considerations. Other considerations are:
- Students are expected to provide their own transportation.
- Special arrangements must be made with the housing director if students will be in residence halls during the college spring break, in January, in August, or in late May-early June.
- Students must register for the two courses that apply to their level of certification.
- Students are required to attend an initial placement meeting and a later orientation meeting prior to the student teaching semester.
- Students will be limited to two placements or less in a semester. Therefore, students planning certification which requires more than two placements may need to extend their student teaching experience beyond the required semester.