Carroll University
Main Hall
About Carroll
Areas of Study
Horizontal Rule
Athletic Training
About the Program
Program Faculty
Academic Progression
Carroll University Catalog
Athletic Training Program FAQ

Frequently Asked Questions

What is an athletic trainer?

Certified athletic trainers are health care professionals who specialize in preventing, recognizing, managing and rehabilitating injuries that result from physical activity. As part of a complete health care team, the certified athletic trainer works under the direction of a licensed physician and in cooperation with other health care professionals, athletics administrators, coaches and parents.

Students who want to become certified athletic trainers must earn a degree from an accredited athletic training curriculum. Accredited programs include formal instruction in areas such as injury/illness prevention, first aid and emergency care, assessment of injury/illness, human anatomy and physiology, therapeutic modalities, and nutrition. Classroom learning is enhanced through clinical education experiences. More than 70 percent of certified athletic trainers hold at least a master's degree.

To become certified athletic trainers, students must pass a comprehensive test administered by the Board of Certification. Once certified, they must meet ongoing continuing education requirements in order to remain certified.

Where do athletic trainers work?

Certified athletic trainers can be found almost anywhere people are physically active. Here are some of the places you'll find them:

  • Secondary schools
  • Colleges and universities
  • Professional sports
  • Sports medicine clinics
  • Hospitals
  • The military
  • Industrial and commercial
  • Performing arts

How many years does it take to complete the Athletic Training Program?

The program takes four years to complete. The first two years are considered pre-athletic training and then students formally apply to the professional phase of the Athletic Training Program. To enter into the professional phase, students must complete pre-requisite coursework, maintain a 2.75 cumulative GPA, a 2.5 science GPA, and complete the application and its corresponding materials.

Can I double major with another program?

Yes, it is possible but would extend your education beyond four years. There are other courses that can be taken during the Athletic Training Program that would prepare you for multiple certifications in other specialty areas (e.g. strength and conditioning, sports nutrition).

What other certifications and licenses can I work toward to enhance the athletic training degree?

Certifications from the National Strength and Conditioning Association and the National Academy of Sports Medicine are available in the areas of personal training and strength and conditioning. Other common certifications and licenses that athletic trainers obtain are in the areas of emergency medicine and nutrition, and massage therapy.

Can I play sports and be in the Athletic Training Program?

Yes, and many of our athletic training students do participate in sports at Carroll.

Can I complete the Athletic Training Program and the Physical Therapy Program?

Yes, but the four-year Athletic Training Program must be completed first. After that, a student can apply for admission into the Physical Therapy Program. Carroll students can complete the Athletic Training Program and all necessary pre-requisite coursework for the Carroll Physical Therapy Program in four years.

Where do the students go for outside clinical experiences?

The Carroll Athletic Training Program provides experiences in high schools, colleges, clinics, youth sports, professional sports, and industrial athletic training settings, as well as experiences observing orthopedic surgery, orthopedic rounds, general medicine rounds, and acute care ambulance ride-alongs.

Clinical Education sites:

  • Orthopedic Associates of Wisconsin
  • Sports Medicine and Physical Therapy
  • Area high schools
  • Froedtert Sports Medicine
  • Athletic and Therapeutic Institute
  • Milwaukee Wave
  • QuadGraphics
  • University of Denver
  • University of Minnesota (pending)
  • Waukesha Youth Football
  • City of Waukesha EMS
  • Waukesha Family Practice
  • Aurora Sports Medicine Institute (pending)

What is an average starting salary?

The average starting salary for bachelor's degree entry-level athletic trainers is around $30,000 - $35,000 a year.

When do I get to work in the athletic training room?

Students are able to start working in the athletic training room right away during their freshman year as athletic training student workers. Those who have work study or campus job monies through their financial aid package will get paid to work in the athletic training room.

Do I get to work with the University's athletic teams?

Yes, students will work with Carroll's athletic teams through the academic program and through the student work program.

 Copyright © 2017 Carroll University, Waukesha, Wisconsin. All rights reserved. Top of Page