Carroll University Mentorship Program
Global Connections (building bridges of understanding) is an intercultural exchange program offered through the Office of International Education. The purpose of the program is to help new international students connect with U.S. American students who are knowledgeable about Carroll University.
Why Global Connections began?
The Global Connections program is being established to help new international students connect with U.S. American Students. International students come to the U.S. only days or weeks before school starts. Once they arrive, they are often faced with language barriers, culture shock, loneliness and stress, among other worries. Global Connections hopes to close cultural gaps between U.S. American and international students, while helping international students with their transition into American college life. (Please note that for some international students, adjusting to the U.S. way of life might be somewhat seamless.)
- Provide new international students with an immediate support group facilitated by international student mentors and a faculty and staff adviser.
- Assist new international students with the transition to becoming active participants in their academic career by providing insight and experience from upper class students and faculty/staff.
- Encourage mutually beneficial and enduring relationships between new international students and undergraduate students.
- Provide opportunities for development in group facilitation, communication skills and event planning.
Why participate in the international student mentor program – Global Connections?
For incoming international students:
- Learn about U.S. American culture, and share your own culture with others. You will be paired up with a U.S. American student who can answer your questions about Carroll University, the city of Waukesha, and anything else you would like to know about living in the U.S.
- Teach your U.S. partner about your country, language, and culture.
- Explore Waukesha and Greater Milwaukee with your U.S. partner.
- Gain a better understanding of U.S. American culture, languages, and customs.
- Participate in events and programming that will teach you about U.S. American holidays.
For U.S. American students:
- Help international students adjust to life in the U.S. while learning about other cultures. You will be paired up with an international student who can teach you about another country, language and culture while you help a fellow student navigate campus, Waukesha and U.S. way of life.
- Engage in co-curricular and extracurricular activities while making friends from around the world.
- Expand your horizons!